HELEN HEINEMAN ECUMENICAL AND CULTURAL CENTER

Framingham State University, Framingham, MA

This remarkable stone chapel, built in 1871 as St. John's Parish Church and originally designed by architect Alexander Rice Esty, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.  The building had been closed since 1985 due to need for repair.

Colantonio meticulously repaired and restored the original stained glass windows.   We removed, repointed and reinstalled the existing masonry to match the existing stonework.  The rotted floor structure was rebuilt to meet handicap accessibility requirements.  We installed a new slate roof, ornate copper gutters and flashings. New electrical, plumbing and HVAC systems were seamlessly integrated within the historic fabric of the building.

The chapel now serves the University as a beautiful venue for ecumenical and cultural activities such as musical recitals and poetry readings.

The project was designed by CBT Architects.  The custom sound-system was donated by Bose Corporation.


Awards

Merit Award, Association of Commercial and Institutional Builders and the Mass. Division of Capital Management

Merit Award for Accessible Design in Public Architecture, Executive Office of Public Safety Architectural Access Board

Citation for Design, AIA New England