Colantonio recently completed its $5.7 million gut renovation of the historic Lincoln Town Offices building at 16 Lincoln Road. The general contractor teamed up with Architect Donham & Sweeney and Owner's Project Manager Bargmann Hendrie + Archetype on this challenging project.
The 16,000 square foot, three-story office building, originally built in 1908 as a schoolhouse, received significant improvements to its accessibility and use of space. The renovation brought the building up to code and made it a more efficient municipal office for the 21st century.
In addition to new elevators, windows, and electrical, plumbing, and fire protection systems, the building was outfitted with an underground cast-in-place vault, which carries a six-hour fire rating, for housing records. Colantonio cleared the stone foundation to make room for this innovative component.
One of the key challenges was to support the structure while interior demolition takes place. Engineers and construction crew worked together to ensure that adequate interior and exterior shoring was installed before the demolition work was completed.
The exterior of the historic building was largely preserved, though minor envelope repairs and accessibility improvements were made. The public entrance was relocated from the north side of the building to the south side where green parking spaces were added. The building’s trim work, which was originally made from lumber milled and donated by a local resident, was reused and the former front entrance door remained in place. The project was designed to meet LEED Silver Certification standards.